fredag 24 juni 2011

I had previously seen this toy in Wal Mart, so I knew it was a good price and exactly what my son wanted. However, I didn't realize how sturdy it actually was. Some of these   
seemed soooo kiddie-looking. However, after doing some reseach and finding almost total critical praise and a huge fanbase encompessing boys girls, men and women, I thought I'd give it a try. Man, was I blown away. This is definitely a cartoon for the ages. While it is lighthearted, it also explores darker themes as the characters are slowly fleshed out. My wife and I, as well as my two daughters, were completely captivated. 5-stars without question.

For the Collector's Edition, if you've already purchased the previously-released Book I collection, you DO NOT need this edition. I repeat, you DO NOT NEED this edition. Inside the fancy box is a DVD with a 20-minute documentary that explores the origins of this series with its creators. Not a bad documentary, but not worth throwing an extra $30 on the counter. Also included in the set is a small booklet that shows some earlier sketches as well as commentary from the two creators. Again, nice, but not worth a re-purchase. And last, the previously-released BOOK I collection is what you're actually getting inside this box. They just took the old edition (box and all), put it inside another box along with a documentary and booklet, stamped LIMITED COLLECTOR'S EDITION on the box, and then jacked the price up $10-$15 dollars. The distributor is trying to take advantage of the up-coming movie. Don't be duped.